Whiteman Osterman & Hanna’s CleanTech Practice Group has long understood the benefits and opportunities of the green economy, and has been advising clients on how to capitalize on those benefits and opportunities for nearly ten years.
The CleanTech Practice Group advises clients on a range of issues related to alternative and renewable energy technologies, structuring and financing cleantech ventures and projects, federal and State incentives for energy efficient facilities and the development of alternative energy supplies, the siting, permitting, and construction of renewable energy projects, sustainability and energy efficiency.
Our CleanTech clients share our mission to do well, by doing good. At Whiteman Osterman & Hanna, we will use our knowledge, contacts and experience to help assure that mission is accomplished.
Renewable and Alternative Energy: Our attorneys have an extensive background in counseling clients, both developers and municipalities, on energy project development, and has been a front-runner in helping to build out the State’s wind resources over the past several years. We have assisted clients through the processes for siting generation and transmission projects under the State Public Service Law, and have a deep understanding of the procedural and substantive issues that arise during the environmental impact review of renewable energy projects.
Government Relations: We understand that many renewable technologies require federal and State incentives for effective market penetration and development. A well-positioned, experienced government relations group is an indispensable member of any development team, and the Firm’s group is second to none in New York State. Our attorneys, including those in our affiliate WOH Government Solutions LLC in Washington, D.C., have a comprehensive understanding of the existing funding opportunities available to developers and entrepreneurs, and the relationships with government officials to ensure our clients’ voices are heard on important policy issues. When necessary, our government relations group plays an invaluable role in bringing projects online and creating new opportunities.
Green, Energy Efficient and LEED Certified Building: We advise clients on all phases, from conception to construction, of green, energy efficient, and LEED Certified buildings. We assist companies and managers to understand the risks, costs, and benefits of incorporating energy efficiency and LEED standards into any building project. We work with regional resources like the USGBC, NYSERDA, NYSDEC, the RPI Energy CAT, New Energy New York and others, to assure a successful and cost-effective result.
- Representation of the developer of a major LEED Certified resort community and golf course at Belleayre Mountain, the first of its kind in the Catskills.
- Representation of developers of approximately 800 MW of wind energy projects in northern and western New York.
- Representation of the developer in connection with construction and certification of the first LEED Certified Building in New York State.
- Representation of municipal lead agencies in the environmental review of and adoption of governing regulations for three major wind energy projects totaling in excess of 375 MW of wind energy.
- Representation of a manufacturer in connection with Green Planning, including the purchase of renewable energy, carbon credits, and investment in renewable energy resources.
- Representation of school districts, municipalities and manufacturers in planning and contracting for solar energy installations.
- Representation of lender in a transaction involving small hydropower facilities.
- Representation of a landfill gas-to-energy developer in the negotiation of an engineering, procurement and construction (“EPC”) contract for the installation of a gas turbine at a large municipal landfill.
- Representation of a private equity company in its acquisition of a medical waste incinerator using waste heat recovery systems.
- Provided general counsel to a technology company providing consulting services to wind developers and banks.
- Representation of investors and companies in structuring and executing strategic transactions in the CleanTech sector.
- Representation of agencies and developers in the siting, permitting and construction of several waste-to-energy projects.