Jason L. Shaw
Jason L. Shaw
Jason Shaw is a Partner at Whiteman Osterman & Hanna and a member of the Firm’s Litigation, Arbitration and Mediation; Real Estate Development, Zoning and Land Use; and Municipal Practice Groups. He concentrates his practice in two areas: trial practice involving insurance coverage, commercial matters, and personal injury, and providing legal representation for municipalities. Mr. Shaw recently moved his practice to Whiteman Osterman & Hanna from a boutique New York Hudson Valley firm.
- Obtained a multimillion dollar award against a hospital for negligence in the care of a premature infant resulting in severe and permanent neurological injury.
- Obtained a multimillion dollar award against a nursing home for negligence in the care of a patient suffering from multiple sclerosis.
- Successfully recovered money damages from a property insurer and its contractors for negligence in water damage remediation at a commercial establishment which resulted in significant mold contamination requiring the business to close for over a year.
- Successfully recovered money damages from a property insurer to require it to pay for asbestos remediation at a water-damaged warehouse building.
- Successfully defended a school district at a federal court trial on a claim for sexual harassment.
- Successfully defended a Massachusetts architectural practice group against a damage-for-delay claim brought in federal court by a major motion picture producer.
- Lecturer at the Association of Towns Annual Meeting on issues of municipal zoning enforcement.
Mr. Shaw is a member of the New York State Trial Lawyers Association, and the New York State Bar Association, the Torts, Insurance, and Compensation Law and the Municipal Law sections of the New York Bar Association. He has been inducted into the New York State Bar Fellows, an honor bestowed on fewer than five percent of the bar association membership. He is also a member of the American Association for Justice, the American Bar Association, and the New York State Public Insurance Adjusters Association.
Mr. Shaw is a cum laude graduate of the Tulane University Law School and has a Bachelor of Arts degree from Arizona State University. He clerked for a federal district court judge in the Eastern District of Louisiana and then became a senior assistant district attorney in the Brooklyn District Attorney’s Office before going into private practice.